Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 100: The Centennial!

June 15: It was my hundredth day on the trail! Or at least my hundredth day since I started the trail. Of course, I had taken a few days off along the way. To celebrate... I did more hiking. =) Just another day in the life of the Green Tortuga....

However, I didn't do a lot of hiking. It had rained during the night and although the rain had stopped by morning, it didn't look promising. But I did want to get in at least a few miles of hiking and looking at the guide for the trail up ahead, it seemed most convenient for Amanda to pick me up a mere four miles from where she'd drop me off. Definitely a very short day of hiking, but that was okay I still needed to type up a boat load of these blog posts. I'd done some reasonably long hikes the last few days rather than computer work. Now that the weather was turning worse, it was time to do more computer work than hiking work.

This construction work blocked the road back to the trailhead in the morning, so I had to get out of the car and walk the rest of the way just to get to the trail!

Because I was hiking a mere four miles, I decided to carry no backpack at all--the ultimate in slackpacking! I didn't even bother to carry a bottle of water. The ten essentials? Most people would say I had zero of them, but I'd like to think I still had one that's absolutely critical: my wits. I still had my wits, and by golly, that's all I'd need! =) Oh, and I did take an umbrella because it did look like it might rain.

Getting to the trail, however, turned out to be more difficult than we expected because the road was blocked with construction equipment. None of that was there yesterday! But yesterday was a Sunday. They probably had the day off. Today, they were in our way. Ultimately, I got out of the car and figured I'd just walk to the trailhead from there. I wasn't entirely sure exactly how far away the blocked road was from the trailhead, but I figured it wouldn't take more than a half hour to get back to the trail. Turns out, it was closer to five minutes which made me very happy. =)

The hiking was uneventful. Muddy, but otherwise uneventful. The rain didn't materialize as I was hiking for which I was grateful.

About an hour and a half later, I arrived at the designated pickup point where Amanda was already there and waiting for me. She picked me up and drove us out to Cold Springs where we stopped for lunch at the Train Stop restaurant.

Then it was back to the hotel where I sat down with my laptop and wrote up a whopping 8 blog entries before bedtime. That's more than two weeks of blog posts on my Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule! A productive day! =)

No rain, but plenty of fog!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As I'm just now reading this (in February) i really miss the green leaves :(